Mindfulness has become quite popular in recent years. It has been shown to positively influence the general health and wellbeing of those who practice mindfulness meditation. There is ample evidence too to suggest that a mindfulness practice contributes to more ethical decision-making. Through lecture, discussion and practice, this workshop will share the research on mindfulness and practical applications to foster better self-care in interpreters and more ethically-minded interpreting practice.
*Suggested (not required) completion of the course Mindfulness for Interpreters OR experience in a self-mindfulness practice.
- Identify the definition of mindfulness.
- Identify at least four benefits of the effect of mindfulness meditation on the interpreter and the interpreting process.
- Describe one example of the relationship between interpreter’s mindfulness and ethical decision-making based on current research to date.
Participants who successfully complete this course will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the course.
This training is designed for professional interpreters working in any language.
The cost of this course is $50.00 (US). Course materials and light breakfast refreshments are included.
3 hours* pending approval by RID/BEI
Leslie Pertz LMSW, NIC
Date, Time, and Location
- Saturday, March 23, 2019
- 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
- UMHS Interpreter Services, 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Conference Room 1213, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
This training complies with the University of Michigan’s Nondiscrimination Policy. Please refer here for any policy questions: https://hr.umich.edu/working-u-m/workplace-improvement/office-institutional-equity/nondiscrimination-policy-notice.
To request reasonable accommodations, please contact email@example.com
We want to make it as convenient as possible for students who need lodging in the Ann Arbor area while taking our classes.
- Call 800-544-8684 or 734-936-0135 for the UMHS Patient and Visitor Hotel Accommodations
- Bed and Breakfast Accommodations
Cancellations will be permitted four or more weeks prior to the start of a training course without incurring a fee. Due to the cost of establishing, holding, and refilling participant slots, along with the associated costs of language assessments and course materials, the following cancellation fee schedule applies:
- For 2 to 4 weeks prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 25% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Between 8-13 days prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 50% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Within 7 days of the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 75% of the training course price will be assessed.
- No show on the first day of the training course will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of training course price.
Questions about UMHS Interpreter Services Mindfulness for Interpreters course? Contact course instructor Leslie Pertz (please put the course title in the subject line) or call the Medical Interpreter Training Academy at 734-998-2183.