This 8-hour intensive course is ideal for Medical Interpreters, medical professionals, and anyone interested in a refresher course on the basics of medical science for those who are preparing for the National Certification exam. It’s also a good beginners course, or a refresher course for those who have already taken the 40-hour Medical Terminology & Body Systems course and Bridging the Gap medical training course.
The course reviews the general rules of Word Building Technique, which helps you decipher medical terms by dividing them into three basic parts: the prefix, root and suffix. By learning common prefixes, suffixes, and root words, you can easily make sense of even the most complex terms. It’s a quick, efficient and amazingly easy way to learn medical terminology.
The course also conducts an overview of the different body systems with a brief description of:
- common medical terms;
- common symptoms characteristically associated with each body system;
- common test/procedures used for each body system;
- common specific medications and treatments for each body system; and
- common problems with each body system.
Participants who successfully complete this course will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the course.
This 8-hour Medical Terminology & Body Systems course is a key component of the ever expanding and continuing process of self-study, continuing education, research, and field experience. Medical Terminology and Body Systems is open to everyone. It is language neutral, and all materials and instructions are presented in English. If you’re a Medical Interpreter, this course is an ideal way to prepare for the National Certification exam.
The cost of this course is $75.00 (US). Course materials and lunch are included.
If you are a UMHS Interpreter Services Bridging the Gap alum, please contact Brittany Karnes for a special discount for this course.
Michigan Medicine Interpreter Services is an Approved RID CMP Sponsor for continuing education activities. This PS program is offered for .7 CEUs at the Some Content Knowledge Level.
Date, Time, and Location
- Fall 2018: Saturday, November 10, 2018 from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm at UMHS Interpreter Services, 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
This training complies with the University of Michigan’s Nondiscrimination Policy. Please refer here for any policy questions: https://hr.umich.edu/working-u-m/workplace-improvement/office-institutional-equity/nondiscrimination-policy-notice.
To request reasonable accommodations, please contact email@example.com
We want to make it as convenient as possible for students who need lodging in the Ann Arbor area while taking our classes.
- Call 800-544-8684 or 734-936-0135 for the UMHS Patient and Visitor Hotel Accommodations
- Bed and Breakfast Accommodations
Cancellations will be permitted four or more weeks prior to the start of a training course without incurring a fee. Due to the cost of establishing, holding, and refilling participant slots, along with the associated costs of language assessments and course materials, the following cancellation fee schedule applies:
- For 2 to 4 weeks prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 25% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Between 8-13 days prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 50% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Within 7 days of the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 75% of the training course price will be assessed.
- No show at first day of training course will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of training course price.
Questions about UMHS Interpreter Services Medical Terminology & Body Systems course? Contact course instructor Rita Galin (please put Medical Terminology & Body Systems – One Day Intensive in the subject line) or the Medical Interpreter Training Academy at 734-998-2183.