Interpreting for older adults can be very challenging and yet rewarding. The general population is aging and we see more and more senior patients. During this workshop, we will discuss what is aging and how it is generally characterized by. Through lecture and practice, we will look at some medical terminology used in Geriatric setting, the specifics of aging in America, resiliency and aging, and what is “Positive Aging”.
We will discuss challenges facing interpreters while interpreting for elderly patients and their families, other health and social issues that could affect the elderly and why simultaneous interpreting (for spoken languages) is not working for the elderly. We will go over some ethical scenarios, learn about some memory testing, depression screenings and questionnaires commonly used in Geriatric setting: Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE), Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MOCA), Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9) and hear some amazing stories. This workshop will help interpreters to know what to expect and how to prepare themselves and how to enhance their skills when they work with elderly patients.
- Learn about at least three things to expect when interpreting for older adults.
- Know a minimum of 5 different symptoms and 3 diagnoses common with geriatric patients.
- Describe 2 memory testing techniques that are used in a Geriatric care setting.
Participants who successfully complete this course will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the course.
This training is designed for professional interpreters working in any language.
The cost of this course is $50.00 (US). Course materials and light breakfast refreshments are included.
LARA-BPL has approved MI CEU Sponsorship for this Workshop with Michigan Medicine Interpreter Services for 2.75 MI Professional Studies CEUs and 2.75 Medical or Mental Health CEUs. Partial MI CEU Sponsorship CEUs will not be awarded for this event and participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance as documentation. This program MI-CEU number is: #115031901.
Michigan Medicine Interpreter Services is an Approved RID CMP Sponsor for continuing education activities. This PS program is offered for .3 CEUs at the Some Content Knowledge Level.
Rita Galin, MD, CMI-Russian
Date, Time, and Location
- Saturday, March 2, 2019
- 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
- UMHS Interpreter Services, 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Conference Room 1213, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
This training complies with the University of Michigan’s Nondiscrimination Policy. Please refer here for any policy questions: https://hr.umich.edu/working-u-m/workplace-improvement/office-institutional-equity/nondiscrimination-policy-notice.
To request reasonable accommodations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We want to make it as convenient as possible for students who need lodging in the Ann Arbor area while taking our classes.
- Call 800-544-8684 or 734-936-0135 for the UMHS Patient and Visitor Hotel Accommodations
- Bed and Breakfast Accommodations
Cancellations will be permitted four or more weeks prior to the start of a training course without incurring a fee. Due to the cost of establishing, holding, and refilling participant slots, along with the associated costs of language assessments and course materials, the following cancellation fee schedule applies:
- For 2 to 4 weeks prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 25% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Between 8-13 days prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 50% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Within 7 days of the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 75% of the training course price will be assessed.
- No show on the first day of the training course will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of training course price.
Questions about UMHS Interpreter Services Interpreting for Older Adults course? Contact course instructor Rita Galin (please put the course title in the subject line) or call the Medical Interpreter Training Academy at 734-998-2183.