With recent expansions of insurance coverage and greater efforts in many states to ensure mental health parity, although there is a long way to go, members of the non-English speaking communities may find greater access to mental health services and psychotherapy than ever before. As such, interpreters may find a greater demand to provide services in this setting, along with therapists who have little-to-no experience working with interpreters themselves.
Through lecture and discussion, this workshop will focus on providing participants with information on working with the therapist in support of treatment objectives, developing a therapeutic alliance, the varied use of language to direct clinical treatment, recognizing language dysfluency, fostering intrapersonal awareness, managing boundaries, and ensuring proper self-care when trauma enters the therapeutic discussion.
- Describe one best practice for fostering development of the therapeutic alliance with the therapist.
- Describe how to identify language dysfluency and one method to communicate this information to the therapist.
- Describe two methods to prevent vicarious trauma while interpreting traumatic content.
Participants who successfully complete this course will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the course.
This training is designed for professional interpreters working in any language.
The cost of this course is $75.00 (US). Course materials and light breakfast refreshments are included. Lunch is on your own (there are many restaurants nearby).
6 hours* pending approval by RID/BEI
Leslie Pertz LMSW, NIC
Date, Time, and Location
- Saturday, May 18, 2019
- 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- UMHS Interpreter Services, 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Conference Room 1213, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
This training complies with the University of Michigan’s Nondiscrimination Policy. Please refer here for any policy questions: https://hr.umich.edu/working-u-m/workplace-improvement/office-institutional-equity/nondiscrimination-policy-notice.
To request reasonable accommodations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We want to make it as convenient as possible for students who need lodging in the Ann Arbor area while taking our classes.
- Call 800-544-8684 or 734-936-0135 for the UMHS Patient and Visitor Hotel Accommodations
- Bed and Breakfast Accommodations
Cancellations will be permitted four or more weeks prior to the start of a training course without incurring a fee. Due to the cost of establishing, holding, and refilling participant slots, along with the associated costs of language assessments and course materials, the following cancellation fee schedule applies:
- For 2 to 4 weeks prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 25% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Between 8-13 days prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 50% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Within 7 days of the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 75% of the training course price will be assessed.
- No show on the first day of the training course will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of training course price.
Questions about UMHS Interpreter Services Interpreting in Psychotherapy course? Contact course instructor Leslie Pertz (please put the course title in the subject line) or call the Medical Interpreter Training Academy at 734-998-2183.