With continued efforts to integrate mental health into typical medical care, there is a need to better prepare and to support Medical Interpreters, and to ensure that patients and their families receive the highest standard of interpreting that facilitates their mental health treatment and care.
This 28-hour, four-part course will cover areas of mental health including:
- An overview of the mental health system;
- Major diagnoses and common treatment approaches;
- An introduction to various settings where mental health interpreting may occur;
- Common medications used to treat mental health disorders;
- How to keep safe while interpreting in mental health situations; and
- Ethical and legal issues associated with mental health interpreting.
This course is open to all Medical Interpreters. No prerequisites are necessary; however, it is geared toward working Medical Interpreters. One can attend any session of this course, and one does not have to have attended prior sessions to register for later sessions.
Requests for reasonable accommodations to participate in Interpreter Services courses should be made at least 2 weeks in advance of the start of the course to the specific course instructor and to the Medical Interpreter Training Academy.
The cost of this course is $75.00/session or $300.00 for all four sessions. Books and lunch are included.
- “UMHS Winter 2018-Session 14” presented by Leslie Pertz that will take place on April 14, 2018 has been approved for 0.6 Professional Studies units, 0.65 Medical/Mental Health units, 0.375 Legal units and 0.1 Ethics units.
- MDCR-DODDBHH has approved MI CEU Sponsorship for this Workshop with UMHS. Partial MI CEU Sponsorship CEUs will not be awarded for this event and participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance as documentation. This program MI-CEU number is: #868041801.
Madonna University is an Approved RID CMP Sponsor for continuing education activities. This PS program is offered for 0.7 CEUs at the Some Content Knowledge Level.
Date, Time, and Location
Session 1 – January 13, 2018 from 8:30am – 4:30pm at 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Session 2 – February 10, 2018 from 8:30am – 4:30pm at 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Session 3 – March 10, 2018 from 8:30am – 4:30pm at 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Session 4 – April 14, 2018 from 8:30am – 4:30pm at 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
We want to make it as convenient as possible for students who need lodging in the Ann Arbor area while taking our classes.
- Call 800-544-8684 or 734-936-0135 for the UMHS Patient and Visitor Hotel Accommodations
- Bed and Breakfast Accommodations
Cancellations will be permitted four or more weeks prior to the start of a training course without incurring a fee. Due to the cost of establishing, holding, and refilling participant slots, along with the associated costs of assessments and course materials, the following cancellation fee schedule applies:
- For 2 to 4 weeks prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 25% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Between 8-13 days prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 50% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Within 7 days of the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 75% of the training course price will be assessed.
- No show at first day of training course will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of training course price.
Questions about the Interpreting in Mental Health course? Contact course instructor Leslie Pertz (please put Interpreting in Mental Health in the subject line) or the Medical Interpreter Training Academy at 734-998-2183.