Mental health is an exciting, but often challenging and emotionally charged topic. This Interpreting in Mental Health course can provide you with the knowledge and the tools you need to be a better Interpreter when interpreting for a patient or family in a mental health setting.
This 28-hour, four-part course will cover areas of mental health including:
- An overview of the mental health system;
- Major diagnoses and common treatment approaches;
- An introduction to various settings where mental health interpreting may occur;
- Common medications used to treat mental health disorders;
- How to keep safe while interpreting in mental health situations; and
- Ethical and legal issues associated with mental health interpreting.
This course is open to all Medical Interpreters. No prerequisites are necessary; however, it is geared toward working Medical Interpreters. One can attend any session of this course, and one does not have to have attended prior sessions to register for later sessions.
The cost of this course is $75.00/session or $300.00 for all four sessions. Books and lunch are included.
Madonna University is an Approved RID CMP Sponsor for continuing education activities. This PS program is offered for 0.7 CEUs at the Some Content Knowledge Level.
MDCR-DODDBHH has approved MI BEI/EIPA/Endorsement Unit Sponsorship for this Workshop with UMHS IPS for 0.55 Professional Studies units, 0.1 Ethical units and 0.65 Medical/Mental Health units. Partial MI BEI/EIPA/Endorsement Sponsorship CEUs will not be awarded for this event and participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance as documentation. This program MI-CEU number is: #OV1623MUSH*(02/04/2017)-(.55PS)-(0.1ES)-(0.65M/MH).
Date, Time, and Location
Session 1 – January 13, 2018 from 8:30am – 4:30pm at 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Ann Arbor, MI 48105 (con
Session 2 – February 10, 2018 from 8:30am – 4:30pm at 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Session 3 – March 10, 2018 from 8:30am – 4:30pm at 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Session 4 – April 14, 2018 from 8:30am – 4:30pm at 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
We want to make it as convenient as possible for students who need lodging in the Ann Arbor area while taking our classes.
- Call 800-544-8684 or 734-936-0135 for the UMHS Patient and Visitor Hotel Accommodations
- Bed and Breakfast Accommodations
Cancellations will be permitted four or more weeks prior to the start of a training course without incurring a fee. Due to the cost of establishing, holding, and refilling participant slots, along with the associated costs of assessments and course materials, the following cancellation fee schedule applies:
- For 2 to 4 weeks prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 25% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Between 8-13 days prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 50% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Within 7 days of the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 75% of the training course price will be assessed.
- No show at first day of training course will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of training course price.
Questions about Interpreting in Mental Health course? Contact course instructor Leslie Pertz (please put Interpreting in Mental Health in the subject line) or the Medical Interpreter Training Academy at 734-998-2183.