Strife and armed conflicts in many parts of the world have led to the exodus of people from their homelands to seek refuge in countries that would provide them with a safe haven for themselves and their families. America has welcomed these refugees. Michigan has given them homes. Michigan Medicine plays an active role in their healing. This course, Interpreting for Refugees in the Medical Setting, will help Medical Interpreters prepare to work with patients who have recently arrived in this country. It will discuss and address the questions:
- How different are these refugees as patients?
- What challenges are inherent in their healing?
- What is the role of the interpreter in helping these patients navigate the western bio-medical culture?
Participants who successfully complete this course will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the course.
The cost of this course is $50.00 (US). Course materials and light breakfast refreshments are included.
Continuing Education Units available
Jay Dawn Malayang
Date, Time, and Location
- Saturday, May 19, 2018 from 8:30 am – 12:30 pm at UMHS Interpreter Services, 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
We want to make it as convenient as possible for students who need lodging in the Ann Arbor area while taking our classes.
- Call 800-544-8684 or 734-936-0135 for the UMHS Patient and Visitor Hotel Accommodations
- Bed and Breakfast Accommodations
Cancellations will be permitted four or more weeks prior to the start of a training course without incurring a fee. Due to the cost of establishing, holding, and refilling participant slots, along with the associated costs of language assessments and course materials, the following cancellation fee schedule applies:
- For 2 to 4 weeks prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 25% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Between 8-13 days prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 50% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Within 7 days of the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 75% of the training course price will be assessed.
- No show at first day of training course will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of training course price.
Questions about UMHS Interpreter Services Interpreting for Refugees in the Medical Setting? Contact course instructor Jay Dawn Malayang (please put Interpreting for Refugees in the Medical Setting in the subject line) or the Medical Interpreter Training Academy at 734-998-2183.