Interpreter Services is offering a 2-day training with Nigel Howard focusing on the following:
- the Interpreter’s role in healthcare literacy;
- medical classifiers; and
- interpreting legal and end of life concepts in the medical setting.
Participants will observe Nigel’s half day presentation on Health and Wellness to the Deaf community on Saturday morning, followed in the afternoon on Saturday and all day Sunday by specific discussions on related topics of healthcare literacy, Medical Classifiers and complex legal and end of life terminology.
Nigel Howard is a world-renowned presenter of Deaf and interpreter topics, specializing in medical interpreting. He is an interpreter instructor at Douglas College, British Columbia, Canada in the Program of Sign Language Interpretation and Child, Family and Community Studies. He also teaches in the Department of Linguistics at the University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. A Deaf Interpreter for over 20 years, he has conducted workshops on Interpreting development and professionalism worldwide. Additionally, he developed ASL Medical Interpreting courses and has taught this course in Canada, the US, and Europe. Nigel is the North American Representative for the World Association of Sign Language Interpreters (WASLI).
*This workshop will be presented in ASL only.
The cost of this 2-day course is $175.00 (US).
1.2 RID CEUs/Michigan available
Madonna University is an Approved RID CMP Sponsor for Continuing Education Activities. This Professional studies program is offered for 1.2 CEUs at the “Some” content level to CMP/ACET participants. Partial CEUs will not be awarded for this event.
- Nigel Howard, BA, PG
Dates and Times
- Saturday, August 19, 2017 from 9:00am – 4:30pm (continental breakfast and snacks provided; lunch on your own)
- Sunday, August 20, 2017 from 9:00am – 4:00pm (continental breakfast and snacks provided; lunch on your own)
- North Campus Administrative Complex (NCAC), 2901 Hubbard Street, Ann Arbor, MI
Cancellations will be permitted four or more weeks prior to the start of a training course without incurring a fee. Due to the cost of establishing, holding, and refilling participant slots, along with the associated costs of language assessments and course materials, the following cancellation fee schedule applies:
- For 2 to 4 weeks prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 25% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Between 8-13 days prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 50% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Within 7 days of the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 75% of the training course price will be assessed.
- No show at first day of training course will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of training course price.
Questions about the course? Contact Christa Moran (put course title – Healthcare Literacy and Medical Interpreting with Nigel Howard in the email subject line) at 734-998-2183.