This is a two-day, 15-hour course for working American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreters. It provides fundamental skills and knowledge that Interpreters need to effectively work in health care settings, including:
- Standards of practice and code of ethics;
- Interpreter roles;
- Basic medical terminology and anatomy;
- An overview of health care in the Deaf community;
- The mechanics of medical interpreting; and
- An introduction to a variety of medical settings.
Participants learn through lectures, discussions, hands-on activities, role plays and small group work. The course is taught by an Interpreter Services staff ASL Medical Interpreter who is also RID Certified and a Certified Educator, with extensive experience and training in medical interpreting.
At the conclusion of this two-day course, participants will be able to:
- List 25 common medical vocabulary terms in ASL in the medical setting;
- Name the 5 considerations for interpreters before entering any medical assignment;
- Name and describe the 4 roles of the medical interpreter; and
- When given an ethical scenario be able to use the RID code of ethics and NCIHC code of ethics to justify the decision that they made and then list at least 2 potential results of that decision.
For questions about accessibility or to request accommodations please contact Christa Moran at 734-936-7021. Two weeks advance notice of the need for accommodations is requested.
The cost of this course is $150.00 (US) and includes lunch and course materials.
Michigan Medicine Interpreter Services is an Approved RID CMP Sponsor for Continuing Education Activities. This Professional Studies program is offered for 1.6 CEUs at the “Some” content level (pending approval) to CMP/ACET participants. Partial CEUs will not be awarded for this event.
16 Michigan BEI Medical/Mental Health + 2 Ethics offered (*pending)
- Christa Moran, NIC, MEd
Date, Time, and Location
- Friday, June 22 – Saturday, June 23, 2018 from 8:00am – 5:00pm at UMHS Interpreter Services, 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Room 1213, Ann Arbor, MI
Cancellations will be permitted four or more weeks prior to the start of a training course without incurring a fee. Due to the cost of establishing, holding, and refilling participant slots, along with the associated costs of language assessments and course materials, the following cancellation fee schedule applies:
- For 2 to 4 weeks prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 25% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Between 8-13 days prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 50% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Within 7 days of the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 75% of the training course price will be assessed.
- No show on the first day of a training course will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of training course price.
Questions about the course? Contact course instructor Christa Moran at email@example.com or the Medical Interpreter Training Academy at 734-998-2183.