This is a two-day, 15-hour course for working American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreters. It provides fundamental skills and knowledge that Interpreters need to effectively work in health care settings, including:
- Standards of practice and code of ethics;
- Interpreter roles;
- Basic medical terminology and anatomy;
- An overview of health care in the Deaf community;
- The mechanics of medical interpreting; and
- An introduction to a variety of medical settings.
Participants learn through lectures, discussions, hands-on activities, role plays and small group work. The course is taught by a UMHS Interpreter Services staff ASL Medical Interpreter. The instructor is RID Certified and a Certified Educator, with extensive experience and training in medical interpreting.
The cost of this course is $150.00 (US) and includes lunch and course materials.
Completion of this course earns the attendee 1.5 RID CEUs / 15 Michigan BEI units.
- Christa Moran, NIC, MEd
Date, Time, and Location
- Friday, June 23 – Saturday, June 24, 2017 from 8:00am – 5:00pm at UMHS Interpreter Services, 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Room 1213, Ann Arbor, MI
Cancellations will be permitted four or more weeks prior to the start of a training course without incurring a fee. Due to the cost of establishing, holding, and refilling participant slots, along with the associated costs of language assessments and course materials, the following cancellation fee schedule applies:
- For 2 to 4 weeks prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 25% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Between 8-13 days prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 50% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Within 7 days of the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 75% of the training course price will be assessed.
- No show at first day of training course will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of training course price.
Questions about the course? Contact course instructor Christa Moran at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Medical Interpreter Training Academy at 734-998-2183.