“Should I say something, or not?”
This question comes up regularly in our work as interpreters. We understand that intruding upon the interaction where we are actively interpreting in has consequences, but our silence can have consequences too. In this workshop we will utilize the Awareness/Reflection Roadmap, created by The Community Interpreter International, to explore what our options for remediation are and how to recognize when the risks are too high and we must step in and become an advocate.
The course objectives are:
- Describe the Awareness/Reflection Roadmap; and
- Name one standard of practice under the ethical principle of “Advocacy” as listed in the NCIHC.
Participants who successfully complete this course will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the course.
The cost of this course is $75.00 (US). Course materials are included.
.3 CEU hours pending
Date, Time, and Location
- Thursday, November 15, 2018
- 5 pm – 8:00 pm
- UMHS Interpreter Services, 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
We want to make it as convenient as possible for students who need lodging in the Ann Arbor area while taking our classes.
- Call 800-544-8684 or 734-936-0135 for the UMHS Patient and Visitor Hotel Accommodations
- Bed and Breakfast Accommodations
Cancellations will be permitted four or more weeks prior to the start of a training course without incurring a fee. Due to the cost of establishing, holding, and refilling participant slots, along with the associated costs of language assessments and course materials, the following cancellation fee schedule applies:
- For 2 to 4 weeks prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 25% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Between 8-13 days prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 50% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Within 7 days of the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 75% of the training course price will be assessed.
- No show on the first day of the training course will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of training course price.
Questions about UMHS Interpreter Services Introduction to Communicative Autonomy & the Ethics of Advocacy course? Contact course instructor James Cech (please put the course title in the subject line) or call the Medical Interpreter Training Academy at 734-998-2183.