Bridging the Gap, created by The Cross Cultural Health Care Program (CCHCP), is the leading, nationally-recognized medical interpreter training program in the United States. The quality of health care often depends as much on the Interpreter, as on the provider. This foundation course prepares bilingual individuals to work as Medical Interpreters in hospital and clinic settings.
The University of Michigan Health System, Interpreter Services program is Michigan’s first and largest licensed Bridging the Gap provider. The program offered by Interpreter Services is open to working and aspiring medical interpreters and is taught by an authorized Bridging the Gap trainer.
In this five (5) day/40 hour course, participants will learn:
- Basic interpreting skills and communication techniques
- Basic medical vocabulary
- Key health care information
- Communication skills for advocacy
- How to draft practical, working solutions
- Professional development
- Passing grade on the Bridging the Gap language assessment test
The cost of this course is $675.00 (US). Course tuition includes:
- Forty hours of training;
- The Bridging the Gap Interactive Textbook for Medical Interpreters and other training publications;
- Inclusion in the Bridging the Gap Registry; and
- The cost of the language proficiency pre-screening test.
There is a payment plan available for attendees. Course fees must be paid in full by the first day of class.
Date, Time, and Location
- Fridays, January 11, 18, 25, February 1, and 8, 2019
- 9:00am – 5:30pm
- Interpreter Services, 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
We want to make it as convenient as possible for students who need lodging in the Ann Arbor area while taking our classes.
- Call 800-544-8684 or 734-936-0135 for the UMHS Patient and Visitor Hotel Accommodations
- Bed and Breakfast Accommodations
Cancellations will be permitted four or more weeks prior to the start of a training course without incurring a fee. Due to the cost of establishing, holding, and refilling participant slots, along with the associated costs of language assessments and course materials, the following cancellation fee schedule applies:
- For 2 to 4 weeks prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 25% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Between 8-13 days prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 50% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Within 7 days of the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 75% of the training course price will be assessed.
- No show on the first day of the training course will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of training course price.
Questions about the Bridging the Gap course? Contact the Medical Interpreter Training Academy at MITrainingAcademy@med.umich.edu (please put Bridging the Gap in the subject line) or at 734-998-2183.