The course is designed for working interpreters to help develop new skills and enhance existing ones so they are better equipped to handle the variety of demands placed on them in the healthcare setting. Medical interpreters work in a myriad of settings and are faced with a variety of challenges. As these settings and situations become more complex, the key to being successful is to be prepared. The instructor will introduce a strategy called the 5 P’s of Preparation to help medical interpreters consider the beforehand aspects of any assignment. These 5 P’s: purpose, place, people, procedure, and possible outcomes, will be applied to the following settings:
- Surgery and medical procedures,
- Emergency Department;
- Oncology, and
- Additional settings if time allows.
Included in the discussion will be medical vocabulary, ethical challenges, environmental considerations and the best ways to communicate with the medical team. By using this strategy, interpreters will be able to mentally review a thorough, yet concise checklist to help prepare them for appropriate entrance into these complex healthcare interpreting situations.
- Identify the 5 P’s of Preparation for Medical Interpreters.
- Apply and name the 5 P’s of Preparation for at least two advanced medical settings.
- Describe one Ethical challenge for an interpreter in a given advanced medical setting and list at least 2 options for a course of action given that ethical challenge.
Participants who successfully complete this course will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the course.
Interpreters both spoken and sign with some experience in medical interpreting.
The cost of this course is $75.00 (US). Course materials and light breakfast refreshments are included. Lunch is on your own (there are many restaurants nearby).
Michigan Medicine Interpreter Services is an Approved RID CMP Sponsor for continuing education activities. This PS program is offered for .7 CEUs at the Some Content Knowledge Level.
Christa Moran, NIC, MEd
Date, Time, and Location
- Saturday, February 2, 2019
- 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
- UMHS Interpreter Services, 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Conference Room 1213, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
This training complies with the University of Michigan’s Nondiscrimination Policy. Please refer here for any policy questions: https://hr.umich.edu/working-u-m/workplace-improvement/office-institutional-equity/nondiscrimination-policy-notice.
To request reasonable accommodations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We want to make it as convenient as possible for students who need lodging in the Ann Arbor area while taking our classes.
- Call 800-544-8684 or 734-936-0135 for the UMHS Patient and Visitor Hotel Accommodations
- Bed and Breakfast Accommodations
Cancellations will be permitted four or more weeks prior to the start of a training course without incurring a fee. Due to the cost of establishing, holding, and refilling participant slots, along with the associated costs of language assessments and course materials, the following cancellation fee schedule applies:
- For 2 to 4 weeks prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 25% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Between 8-13 days prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 50% of the training course price will be assessed.
- Within 7 days of the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 75% of the training course price will be assessed.
- No show on the first day the of training course will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of training course price.
Questions about UMHS Interpreter Services Advanced Medical Interpreting course? Contact course instructor Christa Moran (please put the course title in the subject line) or the Medical Interpreter Training Academy at 734-998-2183.