Call for Proposals
We are pleased to announce the 1st Michigan Medicine Interpreter Conference in Ann Arbor, MI. The conference theme “Honor the Past, Impact the Present, Shape the Future” builds upon our history of raising the profile of the medical interpreting profession through recognition of successful practices.
The conference aims to honor a profession devoted to improving healthcare and reducing disparities by facilitating equal access to care through communication. Furthermore, we would like to display the evolution of the profession over the past 20 years.
- Medical Interpreters – spoken languages and ASL
- Educators, trainers, language coaches
- Coordinators and managers
- Health care administrators
The Conference Committee is accepting proposals addressing contemporary challenges facing the profession and offering innovative solutions. The Committee invites proposals that address concerns of new, mid-career or seasoned professionals and how to strengthen the connections among Interpreters, care providers and administrators. We encourage proposals from healthcare managers, administrators and agencies. Although presentations fostering active audience participation and panel discussions are preferred, other presentations will also be considered.
All presenters and participants are required to register for the conference. Presenters will be responsible for covering the costs of registration, travel, accommodations, and other related expenses.
Proposals submitted for consideration should be able to provide the majority of the information requested in the online Proposal Submission Form (link below). The Committee understands that last minute eventualities may occur, but subject and aim of proposals will be considered final by the time of submission.
Types of Presentations
- Interactive Presentations: Presentations are generally focused on a single topic or issue, although several tightly related topics or issues may be considered for a single presentation on a case-by-case basis. Presentations must be designed to engage participants providing ample audience participation by fostering active involvement.
- Time allotment – 45 minutes for presentation + 15 minutes for Q&A
- Round tables: Round tables will allow for a brief presentation of content followed by discussion and feedback in a conversational participatory environment.
- Time allotment – 15-20 minutes for presentation + 40-45 minutes for discussion and feedback
Submission Deadline – EXTENDED TO DECEMBER 31, 2017
All proposals must be submitted no later than 5pm EST on December 31, 2017. Proposals submitted after the deadline may be considered for selection, but preference will be given to those received prior to or by the deadline.
Review of Proposals
All proposals will be reviewed by members of the Conference Committee. Each proposal will be evaluated for its significance, design, thoroughness, clarity, appropriateness for the conference, and for its relevance. Proposals attempting to promote commercial material or for-profit programs will not be considered.
The decision of the Conference Committee regarding each proposal will be communicated to designated principal presenters by January 31, 2018.