SAVE THE DATES
April 7 & 8, 2018
Interpreter Services at Michigan Medicine presents their first Healthcare Interpreter Conference
“Honor the Past, Impact the Present, Shape the Future: The Evolution of the Healthcare Interpreter”
Call for Proposals
We are pleased to announce the 1st Interpreter Conference at Michigan Medicine in Ann Arbor, MI. The conference theme “Honor the Past, Impact the Present, Shape the Future” builds upon our history of raising the profile of the medical interpreting profession through recognition of successful practices.
The conference aims to honor a profession devoted to improving healthcare and reducing disparities by facilitating equal access to care through communication. Furthermore, we would like to display the evolution of the profession over the past 20 years.
- Medical Interpreters – spoken languages and ASL
- Educators, trainers, language coaches
- Coordinators and managers
- Health care administrators
The Conference Committee is accepting proposals addressing contemporary challenges facing the profession and offering innovative solutions. The Committee invites proposals that address concerns of new, mid-career or seasoned professionals and how to strengthen the connections among Interpreters, care providers and administrators. We encourage proposals from healthcare managers, administrators and agencies. Although presentations fostering active audience participation and panel discussions are preferred, other presentations will also be considered.
All presenters and participants are required to register for the conference. Presenters will be responsible for covering the costs of registration, travel, accommodations, and other related expenses.
Proposals submitted for consideration should be able to provide the majority of the information requested in the online Proposal Submission Form (link below). The Committee understands that last minute eventualities may occur, but subject and aim of proposals will be considered final by the time of submission.
Types of Presentations
- Interactive Presentations: Presentations are generally focused on a single topic or issue, although several tightly related topics or issues may be considered for a single presentation on a case-by-case basis. Presentations must be designed to engage participants providing ample audience participation by fostering active involvement.
- Time allotment – 45 minutes for presentation + 15 minutes for Q&A
- Round tables: Round tables will allow for a brief presentation of content followed by discussion and feedback in a conversational participatory environment.
- Time allotment – 15-20 minutes for presentation + 40-45 minutes for discussion and feedback
All proposals must be submitted no later than 5pm EST on Thursday, November 30, 2017. Proposals submitted after the deadline may be considered for selection, but preference will be given to those received prior to or by the deadline.
Review of Proposals
All proposals will be reviewed by members of the Conference Committee. Each proposal will be evaluated for its significance, design, thoroughness, clarity, appropriateness for the conference, and for its relevance. Proposals attempting to promote commercial material or for-profit programs will not be considered.
The decision of the Conference Committee regarding each proposal will be communicated to designated principal presenters by Thursday, December 30, 2017.
- Saturday, April 7 – Sunday, April 8, 2018
- Towsley Center for Continuing Medical Education, 1500 E. Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI
We want to make it as convenient as possible for participants who need lodging in the Ann Arbor area while attending the conference.
- Interpreter Services has booked a block of rooms at the nearby Holiday Inn Near the University of Michigan.
- *******Please be advised that the booking link does not work on mobile devices*****
- Link Instructions:
Click on the booking link.
On the left hand side, select your Check In and Check Out Dates.
Group Code will automatically populate.
Click on Check Availability.
From there the site will show you the room types that have been blocked along with the group rate.
When making a reservation with the booking link please verify that the block name – U of M Hospital Interpreter Conference – is listed above the rate options and that you are indeed getting the agreed upon rate of $114.00. If at any time during the process it is stating anything about an advance deposit you may want to close the screen and start again. If you are having any further issues please contact the hotel and they can direct you to our reservations service.
- Link Instructions:
- Call 800-544-8684 or 734-936-0135 for the UMHS Patient and Visitor Hotel Accommodations
- Bed and Breakfast Accommodations
Questions about the Interpreter Services Conference? Contact the Interpreter Services Conference Planning Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org (please put Interpreter Services Conference 2018 in the subject line) or at 734-998-2183.